The Marketing Opportunities section is being developed to provide a variety of resources. Please visit it again in the coming months. The Publishers’ Resources section is a list of other professional organizations. The Affiliates section is a list of affiliates that, along with MIPA, are part of the Independent Book Publishers Association (IBPA).
Twin Cities Bookstores
478 S Cleveland Ave
St Paul, MN 55105
Addendum is a young adult and children’s bookstore in St. Paul specializing in young adult literature.
Birchbark Books & Native Arts
2115 West 21st St
Minneapolis, MN 55405
Birchbark Books carries a wide selection of books but specializes in Native American books and arts.
2002 23rd Ave. S.
Minneapolis, MN 55404
Boneshaker Books is a community supported, collectively organized, and volunteer run bookstore. They provide a welcoming space that promotes social justice and movements through books, education, and activism and offer progressive and radical literature and a place to spark conversation, inform, and inspire.
Common Good Books
38 S Snelling Ave.
St Paul MN 55105
Common Good Books is a full-service independent bookstore in the Macalester-Groveland neighborhood of Saint Paul.
Daybreak Press Global Bookshop
720 Washington Ave SE
Minneapolis, MN 55414
Daybreak Press Global Bookshop and Gathering Space creates a platform for education, activism, and positive community experiences in Minnesota. With its focus on faith, social justice, and women’s empowerment, they provide books from around the world as well as space for community gatherings, events, and regular programming.
2301 E 38th St. Minneapolis, MN 55406
DreamHaven specializes in new and used science fiction, fantasy, horror, film and media books, comics, and graphic novels.
Eat My Words
1228 NE 2nd St, Minneapolis, MN 55413
Though it’s mainly offers used books, Eat My Words has a selection of new works from local authors and offers wi-fi, comfortable chairs, and a literary atmosphere for browsing, book signings, or sitting with a cup of tea.
Excelsior Bay Books
36 Water St, Excelsior, MN 55331
Offering new books for all ages, Excelsior Bay Books presents a comfortable, casual atmosphere to browse and buy.
Lake Country Booksellers
4766 Washington Ave, White Bear Lake, MN 55110
Lake Country Booksellers is an independent seller of new, used, out-of-print and hard to find books, music, and movies.
An online bookstore, Longitude provides expert travel book and map recommendations for destinations worldwide. They have the classics, new and hard-to-find books, and maps to help you get the most out of your travel adventures.
Magers & Quinn Booksellers
3038 Hennepin Ave
Minneapolis, MN 55408
Selling new and used books in the Uptown section of Minneapolis, Magers and Quinn houses all subjects and features many unusual and hard-to-find editions, as well as thousands of current releases.
2230 Carter Ave.
St. Paul, MN 55108
Micawber’s Books has been a fixture in the St. Anthony Park neighborhood since 1972. Micawber’s stocks fiction, nonfiction, and children’s books.
3260 Minnehaha Ave
Minneapolis, MN 55406
Moon Palace recently moved to their above location, which offers more space for their wide selection of books and many events.
Once Upon a Crime
604 W 26th St.
Minneapolis, MN 55405
From thrillers to cozies, nationally known Once Upon a Crime carries all kinds of mystery genres, and also hosts many author events.
Red Balloon Bookshop
891 Grand Ave.
St Paul, MN 55105
Red Balloon Bookshop has been connecting children, teens, and adults in the Twin Cities area with great books and great authors since 1984.
Scout & Morgan Books
114 Buchanan St N, Cambridge, MN 55008
Scout & Morgan Books stocks over 25,000 used and out-of-print books along with new Minnesota and regional books, bestsellers, and quality childrens’ books.
6 W 5th St, St Paul, MN 55102
SubText, in downtown St. Paul, a full-service bookstore, hosts many author events each week.
Uncle Hugo’s Science Fiction Bookstore & Uncle Edgar’s Mystery Bookstore
2864 Chicago Ave.
Minneapolis, MN 55407
Housed in the same building, Uncle Hugo’s, founded in 1974, is the oldest independent science fiction bookstore in America. Uncle Edgar’s, which opened in 1980, provides the biggest assortment of mystery books in the Twin Cities.
217 Main St N.
Stillwater, MN 55082
Valley Bookseller is a full-service bookstore that offers many author events, including their wildly popular monthly Totally Criminal Cocktail Hour.
2720 W 43rd St, Minneapolis, MN 55410
Wild Rumpus is a children’s bookstore that is as known for the many live animals that live there as it is for its wide range of books and many childrens’ author visits.
Greater Minnesota Bookstores and Midwest Bookstores
Traveling? Check out the bookstores in Greater Minnesota and the Midwest. For a list of bookstores, click here.
Books for Writers
In no particular order is a list of some of the hundreds, maybe thousands, of books that are available to help writers:
- The Elements of Style by William Strunk Jr., and E. B. White
- On Writing Well by William Zinsser
- Eats, Shoots & Leaves by Lynne Truss
- Writing Down the Bones: Freeing the Writer Within by Natalie Goldberg
- If you Want to Write: A Book about Art, Independence and Spirit by Brenda Ueland
- Zen in the Art of Writing by Ray Bradbury
- The War of Art by Steven Pressfield
- Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life by Anne Lamott
- The Writing Life by Annie Dillard
- On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft by Stephen King
- The Artist’s Way by Julia Cameron
- The Courage to Write: How Writers Transcend Fear by Ralph Keyes
- The First Five Pages: A Writer’s Guide to Staying Our of the Rejection Pile by Noah Lukeman
Books are also available to help with all the various aspects of writing and publishing, from the basics of punctuation and grammar to finding an agent or publisher, becoming your own publisher, and marketing your books. Check your local library, favorite bookstore, or online.
Magazines about Writing
The following is a short list of magazines about writing:
- Poets and Writers
- Writers Market
- Creative Nonfiction
- The Paris Review
If you’re a genre writer, check out the many magazines that specialize in genre books and authors such as Mystery Scene, Romance Magazine, and the many science fiction and fantasy magazines.
BAY AREA INDEPENDENT PUBLISHERS ASSOCIATION
369-B Third Street Suite 422
San Rafael, CA 94901
Becky Parker Geist, President
David Kudler, Vice President
COLORADO INDEPENDENT PUBLISHERS ASSOCIATION
6565 West Jewell Ave. 4C
Lakewood, CO 89232
Phone: 970-315-CIPA (2472)
Patricia Ross, President
Veronica Yager, Director of Internal Afairs
CONNECTICUT AUTHORS & PUBLISHERS ASSOCIATION
P.O. Box 715
Avon, CT 06001
Debbie Kilday, President
Steven Reilly, Vice President
Brian Jud, Founder, Treasurer
GREATER NEW YORK INDEPENDENT PUBLISHERS ASSOCIATION
c/o Perry Brass, Belhue Press
2501 Palisade Avenue #A1
Bronx, NY 10463
Heidi Russell, Chairperson
INDEPENDENT PUBLISHERS OF NEW ENGLAND
10 Court Street #206
Arlington, MA 02476-0206
Charlotte Pierce (Pierce Press), President
Crystal Ponti (Blue Lobster Books) Vice-President
Paul Parisi (HF Group), Treasurer
Brian Jud (APSS/CAPA), Board Member
Christine Frost (Her Raven Domain), Board
MICHIGAN BLACK INDEPENDENT PUBLISHERS ASSOCIATION
612 N. Walnut Street
PO Box 14304 48901-4304
Lansing , MI 48933
Tanya Bates, President
MIDATLANTIC BOOK PUBLISHERS ASSOCIATION
2027 Flagler Place NW
Washington, DC 20001
Beverly Richardson, President
MIDWEST INDEPENDENT PUBLISHING ASSOCIATION
P.O. Box 65686
St. Paul, MN 55165-1432
Jennifer Baum, IBPA Liaison
Sherry Roberts, President
MINNESOTA BOOK PUBLISHERS ROUNDTABLE
PO Box 18662
St Paul, MN 55118-0662
Katie Nickerson, President
UPPER PENINSULA PUBLISHERS AND AUTHORS ASSOCIATION (UPPAA)
c/o Tyler Tichelaar 1202 Pine St.
Marquette, MI 49855
Tyler R. Tichelaar, President
- Independent Book Publishers Association (IPBA)
- Association of Publishers for Special Sales (APSS)
- Small Publishers, Artists and Writers Network (SPAWN)
- Midwest Independent Booksellers Association (MIBA)
- National Writers Union
- Professional Editors Network (PEN)
- American Booksellers Association
- Minnesota Book Publishers Roundtable
Trade Shows, Conferences and Festivals
The following trade shows, conferences, and festivals offer opportunities for publishers to market their books. Plan ahead. Many of these events are planned a year in advance. Contact the event organizers to: register for a booth; involve your authors in presentations, readings, or book signings; or provide promotional materials (books, bookmarks, catalogs) for distribution to event attendees. If you know of other book-related events in the Midwest, let us know via our contact page and we’ll add them to this list.
- Ann Arbor Book Festival. Sponsored by various groups. Usually held in June in Ann Arbor, MI
- Fox Cities Book Festival. Sponsored by the University of Wisconsin, among others. Usually held in April (various Wisconsin venues).
- Heartland Fall Forum. Hosted by the Great Lakes Independent Booksellers Association and the Midwest Independent Booksellers Association. Usually held in October (location changes).
- Iowa City Book Festival. Sponsored by the Iowa City UNESCO City of Literature. Iowa City is one of just six Cities of Literature in the world. Usually held in October in Iowa City, IA.
- Midwest Fiction Writers Harvest Workshop. Sponsored by the Midwest Fiction Writers. Usually held in September in the Twin Cities.
- Printers Row Lit Fest. Sponsored by the Chicago Tribune. Usually held in June in Chicago.
- South Dakota Festival of Books. Sponsored by South Dakota Humanities Council. Usually held in September in Deadwood, SD.
- Southeast Wisconsin Festival of Books. Sponsored by the Milwaukee Journal. Usually held in September on the University of Wisconsin-Waukesha campus.
- Twin Cities Book Festival. Sponsored by Rain Taxi Review of Books. Usually held in October in the Twin Cities.
- Wisconsin Book Festival. Sponsored byMadison Community Foundation and the Madison Public Library Foundation. Usually held in October in Madison, WI.