Board of Directors
Program Chair and Past President
Smith House Press
Scribe Publishing Company
Chair, Midwest Book Awards
- Tuesday, February 9, 2021 at 7 PM (CST): A conversation on publishing with Katherine Pickett, author of Perfect Bound: How to Navigate the Book Publishing Process Like a Pro.
- Tuesday, March 9, 2021 at 7 PM (CST): Effective advertising on Amazon with Bryan Cohen.
- Finalists for the Midwest Book Awards will be announced in April.
Our meetings are free to all to attend.
- January’s member meeting featured a panel discussion on audiobook production, sales and marketing.
- The Virtual Book Reading Series concluded in December and featured winners from the 2020 Midwest Book Awards. Watch on MiPA’s YouTube Channel.
- December’s general member meeting included an online holiday party and general Q&A about publishing with the board.
- November’s member meeting featured an exciting discussion between Wise Ink publisher Amy Quale and Book Marketing Guru Roseanne Cheng of Evergreen Authors, discussing Change Through Children’s Literature: Create and Market a Children’s Book with Purpose. Summary can be found at our Meeting Notes page.
- Thursday, October 29 the Virtual Book Reading Series continued featuring winners from the 2020 Midwest Book Awards. Watch replays on the Midwest Book Awards Facebook Page or MiPA’s YouTube Channel.
- Tuesday, October 13: Send ’em to the Shelves—Working with a Book Distributor, featuring Brent Cunningham, Executive Director of Small Press Distribution. Summary can be found at our Meeting Notes page.
- September 24 Inaugural Virtual Book Reading Series, featuring winners from the 2020 Midwest Book Awards. Watch replays on the Midwest Book Awards Facebook Page or MiPA’s YouTube Channel.
- September 8, 2020: Hosting from Home: Online Book Talks featuring Jenna Kahly and Hillary Stevens of the Lake Agassiz Regional Library. Meeting notes.
- Saturday, June 27: Midwest Book Awards Gala (Virtual Event)
- Tuesday, May 19: MiPA at the e-Books + Self Publishing CRAM Day 10A–2P, St. Paul. Free Entry. (Rescheduled)
- Tuesday May 12: Online Webinar: “Book Promotion Using Virtual Presentations” with Publicity Coach and Speaker Steve Harrison.
- Tuesday, April 14: Online Webinar: “Throw Out the Rulebook: Publishing in a Pandemic” with Bookmobile’s Don Leeper and Angela Bole, CEO of IBPA.
- Tuesday, March 10: Figuring out Funding: Finances of book publishing, Nayt Rundquist, Managing Editor of New Rivers Press, and MiPA Treasurer
- February 2020 • The Anatomy of a Powerful Book Launch Featuring Dara Beevas, Author and Co-Founder of Wise Ink Creative Publishing
- January 2020 • Using Video to Sell More Books with Jackie Menne
- December 2019 • Member’s Holiday Party! Hosted by Pat Morris
- November 2019 • Self-Evaluating Your Publishing Program for Maximum Success with Karen Pavlicin-Fragnito
- October 2019 • Social Media Panel with Karin Melvin, Mike Faricy, and Suzzanne Kelley.
- September 2019 • Copyright & Permissions, Trade Marks with David Koehser, attorney.
Midwest Independent Publishing Association serves the Midwest publishing community in a collaborative sharing of publishing, production, promotion, and marketing information.
Through educational programming and other cooperative efforts, MiPA assists members in their publishing initiatives and ongoing endeavors. MiPA also provides networking opportunities for publishers, both new and experienced, to learn from each other.
To advance the understanding and appreciation of related professions and trades, MiPA’s members include printers, distributors, editors, indexers, artists, designers, and others who contribute to the vitality of the industry.
MiPA provides support, encouragement, and information to authors who want to learn about the myriad publishing options emerging in this dynamic digital world.
Join the MiPA email list
Get meeting announcements and Zoom meeting connection details, each and every month!
Join MiPA Today
Membership is currently free. We provide:
- Professional Development.
- E-mail Updates.
- Discounted entries for the Midwest Book Awards for publishers of multiple titles.
- And so much more!