Thursday, November 9
Working with a Book Distributor as a Small Press: A Lunch and Learn
Working with a book distributor can help small press publishers get their books into more stores and reach a wider audience. This session will be led by MiPA Executive Director Jennifer Baum, who operates Scribe Publishing Company, a traditional small press in Pontiac, Michigan established in 2011. Scribe Publishing Company has utilized traditional book distributors since 2013, and previously worked with Midpoint in New York and Partners in Michigan before settling at IPG in Chicago.
This session is open to all small press publishers, regardless of experience level. Whether you’re just starting out or you’re looking to expand your distribution network, you’ll learn something new:
- How to choose the right book distributor for your needs
- Best practices for working with a book distributor
- Lessons learned from other small press publishers
- Typical fees and what might or might not be negotiable in contracts
- Sales expectations and how to track your success
- A look at a typical statement
Who should attend:
- Small press publishers of all experience levels
- Anyone interested in learning more about book distribution
This is a casual discussion and presentation from a small press perspective, so come with your questions and insights!